Ingredients ( French Bread ) :
2 1⁄2 cups hot water
2 tablespoons shortening
2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons instant yeast 6 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- Place hot water in large
- Add the shortening, salt and
- Stir and let stand until
- Sprinkle yeast over
- Beat until
- Add 3 cups flour and beat until
- Work in 2 cups flour with a wooden
- Gradually knead the last 1-1/2 cups flour in until no longer sticky-about 3
- Cover and let rise for 30
- Punch down and place on floured
- Roll out to a
- Cut lengthwise in
- With each strip, roll up lengthwise and pinch
- Roll gently back and forth with hands to desired length and to smooth loaf out.
- Lightly grease cookie sheet or use French loaf bread pans.
- Cover and let rise for 25 minutes.
- Cut diagonal slashes across bread about 1/4″ deep.
- Preheat oven, pour boiling water on large cookie sheet to fill.