CRUSTED CARIBOU TENDERLOIN WITH MUSHROOM AND RED WINE REDUCTION
Two thumbs up is what the guests we invited to our testing gave this dish. Use any tenderloin available, moose, elk, deer, beef or pork – but DO plan ahead, and DON’T let the long name put you off. This is definitely a company pleaser!
INGREDIENTS ( CRUSTED CARIBOU TENDERLOIN WITH MUSHROOM AND RED WINE REDUCTION ) :
1 tbsp. coriander or mustard seeds 15 mL
1 tbsp. black peppercorns 15 mL
3 tbsp. dijon mustard 45 mL
- minced fresh thyme leaves or 1 tbsp. (15 mL) dried 30 mL
- caribou tenderloin or back strip 1.5 kg
2 cups soft white bread crumbs 500 mL 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley or 2 tbsp. (30mL) dried 125 mL 2–3 tbsp. olive oil 30-45 mL
1 tsp. salt 5 mL
Mushroom and Red Wine Reduction:
|1 cup||chopped shiitake or portabella or white button mushrooms||250 mL|
|2||garlic cloves, minced or chopped||2|
|1/2 cup||onion, finely chopped||125 mL|
|1 tbsp.||olive oil||15 mL|
|2 cups||dry red wine (Merlot or Beaujolais)||500 mL|
|2 cups||beef broth||500 mL|
|1 tbsp.||minced, fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp. (5 mL) dried||15 mL|
|1 tbsp.||sugar||15 mL|
|2 tsp.||DLS* or 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) salt and 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) pepper||10 mL|
|1/4 cup||soft butter||60 mL|
INSTRUCTIONS ( CRUSTED CARIBOU TENDERLOIN WITH MUSHROOM AND RED WINE REDUCTION ) :
- Crush the coriander seeds and black Add to the mustard and thyme leaves in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Pat tenderloin dry and place it on a sheet of plastic Coat it completely with the mustard mixture. Roll the plastic wrap around the tenderloin and place in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Stir together the bread crumbs and Stir in 2 tbsp. (30 mL) of olive oil to moisten. Add a bit more olive oil if it seems too dry. Completely coat caribou with crumb mixture, pressing it into the meat. Let sit, uncovered, at room temperature, for at least an hour before roasting.
- To make the reduction, sauté mushrooms, garlic and onion in olive oil for 5–8 minutes, or until onions are softened. Add remaining ingredients, except butter. Bring to a boil and simmer until liquid has reduced to 2 cups (500 mL), about 30 Stir in the butter. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C). Sprinkle the tenderloin evenly on all sides with salt, patting the salt into the bread Place on an oiled rack over a shallow roasting pan. Roast for 20–25 minutes, until done to your likeness: 140°F (60°C) for rare; 150°F (65°C) for medium-rare. Let the tenderloin sit, loosely covered with foil, for 10 minutes before carving. Cut into 1 1/2” (4 cm) slices and arrange on a platter.
- Either spoon the Mushroom and Red Wine Reduction over the sliced tenderloin or pass the reduction in a gravy boat.