how to make crusty french bread
Ingredients ( Crusty French Bread ) :
2 cups warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons salt
5 -51⁄2 cups bread flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water (110 degrees) and sugar in large bowl; allow yeast to proof or foam (about 10 minutes).
- Add salt, oil, and 3 cups flour; beat for 2
- Stir in 2 cups flour to make a stiff
- Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10
- Place in oiled bowl, turn dough to coat all sides, cover and let rise until
- Punch down and divide in
- Shape dough into two long slender loaves. 8. Grease and sprinkle with cornmeal either a french bread pan or large cookie sheet.
- Place loaves in pan and cut diagonal gashes on top of each loaf (I use scissors).
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Bake at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes. 12. Note: You can sprinkle or spray water on the
loaves during baking if you want a really crunchy crust.Tags: Crusty French Bread