Occasionally, you want a change from traditional tea biscuits. A hint of cheese gives a tasty
alternative. These drop cheese biscuits are ideal for the busy cook.
INGREDIENTS ( Cheese biscuits ) :
2 cups flour 500 mL
4 tsp. baking powder 20 mL
1/2 tsp. salt 2 mL
3/4 cup cold butter or margarine 175 mL
2 cups finely grated cheese* 500 mL
1 cup water 250 mL
INSTRUCTIONS ( Cheese biscuits ) :
1. Put flour, baking and salt in a bowl. Add butter and cut in with pastry blender until fairly well
blended. Small lumps are all right.
2. Add cheese and stir in with fork, carefully separating any cheese that has lumped together.
3. Add water all at once and stir with a fork just until blended.
4. Drop batter by heaping tablespoons (about 25 ml) onto an ungreased baking sheet.
5. Bake at 450°F (230°C) for 10–12 minutes. Jagged peaks on the tops of the biscuits will be browned.
Remove the biscuits from the tray immediately.
SERVING SUGGESTION ( Cheese biscuits ) :
Serve warm for an evening snack or to accompany a light lunch.
*Use Cheddar or mozzarella or a mixture or experiment with any hard cheese. Cheese should be only
loosely packed when measuring.